Zhichun's Geographical World

Monday, November 06, 2006

Prepost for My Microteaching on GM Food

Well Well... Here's my innermost thoughts as I prepare for the "Big Day" of Microteaching...
Generally I am quite apprehensive regarding a few things, firstly there is the content that I am uncertain about as the new textbook for the new syllabus 2007 is not out in the market yet, thus I have to generate my very own content to be taught. There are pros and cons. Pro is it can be quite flexible on my part, deciding what is important and what is not. I can decide what I want my "student" to learn at the end of the lesson. I have the power and authority to influence my students ' learning of the content. On the other hand, it is quite tedious as there are so much information out there for you to filter and tease out the good and relevant ones. It could time-consuming as compared to having all the ready resources for you to tap on and you just need to think of creative ways to bring these lessons across.

Nonetheless, I should say the whole preparation process was indeed rewarding for me. There are many issues and concerns that I need to consider and that go in my mind. Questions like how can I best engage my every student's attention and arouse interest in this topic? How can I help my students see the importance of knowing about GM food and find the relevance of GM food to their lives? How to help them look at the GM food debate crtically? This is especially difficult as I have problems with thinking critically myself. If the teacher in the first place is not a critical thinker, how do you expect her students to be critical thinkers? Irony right... therefore, I need to put in extra effort to ensure I challenge my students to be critical in this aspect.

Lastly, my concern is the classroom management portion. I know things are not going to be easy, in fact torturous and agonizing! Teaching for that 30 mins is equivalent to running a 2.4km race. Feeling totally and absolutely fatigued and exhausted after that. But not to worry..it's just part of the learning process and experience : )

Just give your best and God will do the rest...

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger .:So SUe Me:. said...

Haha.. I like that analogy of the 30-minute lesson to a 2.4km race!
Anyway, no worries about sweating in your class as I felt that you did a pretty decent job of teaching. Your flexibility is impressive!
By the way, you might get a biiit dizzy as you watch your video because I turned the videocam sideways to capture a profile view (I'm more of a camera person!) several times... Until Kenneth reminded me! Opps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home